Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The Election (Discussion)

I published "The Election" on August 30, 2012 and was gratified at the fact that I received comments from 18 people.

I was deeply disappointed, however, by the fact that except for Janet Cooke of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania none responded to my plea at the end of my post:

That means contributing money till it hurts. It means joining phone banks. It means doing all that is within our power to forestall the tragedy that looms for our country and posterity.

Janet simply wrote "I'll be volunteering for Obama."

I don’t believe it is enough to express concern about the looming catastrophe. In the end what counts is what we do to forestall it and while the fact that it isn’t mentioned doesn’t mean that my respondents are not doing anything, I fear that this may be so.

As for me, I do put my money where my mouth is. Since January, I authorized monthly charges to my credit card to Obama for America. On August 12, I made an additional contribution of $50 and on August 29 I decided I had better become serious and contributed $1,000 to the campaign. I expect to max out my contributions before November at $2,500.

In addition I have been contributing to the DemocraticNational Committee, the Democratic Congressional Campaign CommitteeDemocratic Governors AssociationDemocratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and liberal organization like People for the American Way, environmental groups such as the Sierra Club, the League of Women VotersPlanned Parenthood and countless others. All of these can be accessed by clicking on their name.

I do not expect my readers to match my zeal, but if you care about our country, you ought to do more than nod your head and say the right things.

Now here are a selection of exchanges that I had with my readers, starting with Herb Reiner of Cedar Grove, NJ:

While you and I have had some serious disagreements about Obama’s failings, I can only concur that your parade of potential horrors of a Romney-Ryan administration is no exaggeration. Republican legislatures in key states have passed laws that disenfranchise potential Democratic voters and the Republican Party of Texas openly opposes the teaching of “critical thinking”  -- a quality that is so essential to an electorate in a democracy. Then there’s the jingoism: Never hint of apologizing for America (Presumably we’re always right about everything) and you can never tout American exceptionalism enough. It scares me – but maybe another warlike authoritarian plutocracy is just what the world needs! 

From Nancy Vieira, of Bethesda Md:

HEAR! HEAR! SO glad to hear from you again! And, with such a power message, one that I share! I look forward to your formal post at your web site and I will forward the link to family and friends to get the message out! 

Thanks for picking up the pen again! Indeed, scary times are ahead if the Republicans win this election.

From Janet Wood of Toronto, Canada an expatriate from the US:

I have been watching from afar with dismay and wondering what you were thinking. I think you nailed it and I hope people respond. In general, Canadians are aghast at the criticism of Obama, which comes from all sides, and the inability of Americans to see the reality of the world as it is, including their own country, instead of how they think it should be.

Which led to this exchange:

From me:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you write about: "the inability of Americans to see the reality of the world as it is" and that is often true for the Left as much as for the Right. But on the Right there is a total disconnect and a refusal to even consider real facts as opposed to fantasy. Do you still vote in American elections?

From Janet:

You are right about the right. I confess I do not understand the "left.” They are holding Obama to a standard, which does not exist and makes no sense. They seem to feel he could execute his vision in the midst of a global financial crisis--and a US situation, which is not over yet. They also refuse to credit anything of substance. It is Yes, but... It's hard to believe, but they do not seem to understand the danger of the alternative...

Mike Cerrato Esq. of Westville, New Jersey chimed in with:

YES! As usual, you have succinctly (and brilliantly) put what is going through so many of our minds into words. For those of us who really missed your insights, our sincere thanks. And rest assured, I do forward your comments to as many people as I believe will appreciate them. And a few who I know won't, just to really stick it to them in return for ruining so many otherwise pleasant social occasions! Again, thank you.

Mike then added:

One thing I have been mulling over. Do you think it is going too far to accuse the Republicans of treason? I know it doesn't fit the legal definition, but the obstructionism of the last 4 years just to be able to lambaste the President for not fixing the mess they created sure seems to be a ploy to worsen and use the nations' problems for political gain. (And who can say this wasn't an economic war being waged against the country?) Sad to say, I am starting to believe the only way to win this election is to get as obnoxious as the other side has been since President Obama has been in office. 

Also, one other thing I feel needs to be pointed out to counter the notion that Obama had a two year "free pass" before the 2010 debacle. Let's not forget that when he was elected, the country was screaming for "bipartisanship." One of the most frustrating things for me to see was how far the President went to offer olive branch after olive branch to the other side, only to have them reject EVERY overture (including, thank God, some which gave away even more than they could have ever hoped to achieve on their own!) Now they want to crucify him for that as well? Just seems more than a little unfair. Curious to get your opinion on whether you think either of these positions has any merit.

To which I replied:
I can understand your anger and your feeling that what they have been doing is nothing short of treason. I never comment on campaign tactics because if there is one thing I don't pretend to understand is what motivates an ignorant electorate. However, I will say that for some reason Democrats have always been held to a much higher standard than Republicans. You will remember Joe McCarthy's charge during the Truman Administration of "twenty years of treason." What was worse is that when the Democratic led Tydings Committee "concluded that the individuals on McCarthy's list were neither Communists nor pro-communist, and said the State Department had an effective security program" and "labeled McCarthy's charges a "fraud and a hoax". Republicans responded in kind, with William E. Jenner stating that Tydings was guilty of "the most brazen whitewash of treasonable conspiracy in our history.” The full Senate voted three times on whether to accept the report, and each time the voting was precisely divided along party lines.”

But that is not even ancient history. Ann Coulter, a darling of Republicans recently, wrote: "Twenty years of treason hasn't slowed them down." and charged "50 years of treason.” 

Nixon running for Congress smeared his opponent as the "pink lady.”

But the media, which will denounce Democrats for any excess, always gives Republicans a free ride, so much so that Republicans have declared that they care little about the facts: "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers," said Neil Newhouse, a Romney pollster." 

Compare that to the smear directed against Al Gore by the New York Times and the Washington Post - See my post "The Media II - Falsehoods about Gore" which you can access by clicking or double-clicking on the title and which I urge you to read, particularly since the Times as recently as today repeated the smear, ironically in an article entitled: "Facts Take A Beating in Acceptance Speeches" where the article asserted: 

"...falsehoods...hampered Vice President Al Gore during his run for president in 2000, when his misstatements on the campaign trail were used to stoke the perception that he could not be trusted in general." And in typical media attempt to seem even handed wrote: "The growing number of misrepresentations appear to reflect a calculation in both parties (emphasis added) that shame is overrated..."

Frankly I do think there have been some instances of treason on the part of Republicans, but it is not kosher for them to be accused of such things. Christopher Hitchens, not a partisan wrote:

“In the fall of 1968, Richard Nixon and some of his emissaries and underlings set out to sabotage the Paris peace negotiations on Vietnam. The means they chose were simple: they privately assured the South Vietnamese military rulers that an incoming Republican regime would offer them a better deal than would a Democratic one. In this way, they undercut ... the talks...”

I think to undercut an Administration's peace negotiations is treason.

I also think the Reagan Administration committed treason on the subject of the hostages in Iran. I can't prove it, though I think the media, if they had investigated, could have. Iran refused to release the hostages until right after the election. Why? I am convinced that Reagan emissaries offered them inducements not to. Had Iran released the hostages before the election, Carter, quite possibly, would have won.

But no, I don't think the present outrageous behavior, can by any stretch of the imagination, be considered treason.

Sally Share of Fort Lee, NJ expressed this view:

I agree with you 100%. It is so distressing. I don't understand how a nation can be persuaded to vote for a party that does not have it's best interests at heart. It is so Orwellian. Are we a nation of fools? Downloaded your posting. Would it be OK if I forward it to a few of my friends?

To which I readily assented and encouraged.

Roger Streit of West Orange, NJ questioned one of my assertions with:

A small point is that supply-side economics may not be touted in “textbooks of the Chicago school.” I don’t know either way. For a long discussion of supply-side economics, go here:

To which I replied:

I don't know whether the Chicago school still teaches Supply Side economics, but the article to which you refer me, mentions the Chicago School and Milton Friedman as, at least, one of its main sources.

Barbara Valentino Crowley Baptiste Moreus of Port St. Lucie, Florida expressed herself as follows:

This election is really p*ssing me off because I have an awful feeling that there is a very good chance they will get in (hate to even mention the party or names) .... I find it absolutely amazing....as their platform alienates:  Teachers, Women, Gays, Seniors, Hispanics...and, multi-cultural America on a whole....as evidenced by one look at the hundreds of faces in the audience filled, save for a few token ethnic "individuals," strategically placed! Great show for WHITE SUPREMACY rally! And, btw, I doubt of the milk toast Puritan Tea Partiers included Eastern Europeans...just the Western European roots of our founding fathers... OK Leaving the soap box.... Thank you for writing.

Eric Offner of Manhasset Hills, NY of set forth his view on this and I believe all elections with:

I really appreciate your view. I agree with your analysis. It is interesting that I reach a different conclusion for my vote. I will be told I am wasting my vote. The opposite is true.

And Sonya Leopold of San Augustine, Texas chimed in with:

So good to hear from you again and to read your intelligent, impassioned report on the state of affairs in this election period where you lay out so clearly what the real issues are. Thank you, again!!!

A contributor who wishes to remain anonymous wrote:

You have written an excellent well researched commentary on the election and I agree with your views almost 100%. Please keep up your good work at least until the election, and you can then go back to your personal tasks in November, December and in 2013. Probably the reason that Romney will not release his tax returns is because his evangelical supporters, many of whom believe that Mormonism is a cult, may be offended and turned off by the huge donations he has probably made to the Mormon Church.   

Here in Connecticut a Republican woman named Linda McMahon is running for the US Senate and she has no qualifications other than having been a founder of the World Wrestling Federation. However I am afraid that she has a good chance of winning because her Democratic opponent, Congressman Chris Murphy seems to be bored with the campaign, and is hardly visible. He has not even solicited a donation from me. I am hopeful, but not confident, that the Presidential debates will tip the election in Obama's favor.

Finally Leonard Levenson of Manhattan, NY wrote a long exposition of his views as follows:

I was moved by you recent letter about this election. I agree with you that this election is about the creation of an emerging Oligarchy in the US. The disparity between rich and poor in the US today is greater than at any time since the roaring 20's and far greater than the days of the war on poverty under Johnson. It is not an accident that the greatest jump in the stock market since WWII occurred in the 60's under Kennedy and Johnson and under Clinton in the 90s. We did well under Eisenhower but that was probably caused by the spending spree following the end of the war. 

The present Republican Party seems intent on limiting the vote of minorities by discouraging immigration, by passing burdensome laws dealing with voter registration and by excluding Felons from voting (in some states for life) no matter how minor the crime. The worldview of the present Republican Party harks back to meanest period of economic and social life in our history. It glorifies the Laissez Faire Capitalism of the Robber Baron era of the 1890s and the small mindedness of Victorian England. It begrudges aid to the poor even though all Federal and State aid for food stamps and welfare did not exceed $100 billion dollars last year in a Federal budget in excess of 1 trillion dollars and State budgets of an equal amount.  

Unfortunately, I have been discouraged by the lack of firm and vigorous leadership of Obama and blue dog Democrats. If Obama were Lyndon Johnson or TIP O’Neal or FDR, I believe the Senate would not have been able to block meaningful legislation by a small minority of senators. Obama's record on Civil rights has not been good and he has cow-towed to republican objections to closing Guantanamo. He has been responsible for vigorously deporting large numbers of illegal immigrants until just recently and has not used the "bully pulpit" effectively to push his program. However, these failings are as nothing compared to the disaster that would befall this country with a Romney win.   

I am chilled by the prospects of a Supreme Court made up of a majority of Alitos', Thomas' and Roberts' for the rest of my lifetime. I am depressed by the prospect of a cruel and insensitive Government which believes the answer to crime is more and harsher punishment; that the answer to poverty is for the poor to work longer and harder for less pay and the answer for the sick who cannot afford medical care is to die.  

However, in my more optimistic moments I think of other periods in our history when hysteria and hatred have taken over until the American people came to their senses. I think of the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1802, of the "know nothings" and anti immigration movements of the 1840s, of slavery from the early 17th century to 1865, of the robber barons of the post Civil War, of Jim Crow for 100 years, of the Palmer raids of the 1919-1920 period, of McCarthyism, of Vietnam and of Bush era politics. I think of Lincoln and his hope that "you can't fool all of the people all of the time". We survived all of these calamitous periods and I hope that we could survive a Romney Presidency if that disaster should befall us.

This required a response and accordingly, I wrote:

Good to hear from you, and I appreciate the contents of your remarks in most of what you say.
                       
However, I must take exception to your third and fifth paragraphs.
                       
As to the third paragraph, we have been over this in previous discussions and I am surprised and disappointed that you raise this again now.
           
I guess once a mindset gets set, it is hard to let it go. But rather than repeat all that has been said in the past, I refer you to my posts "The Trojan Horse - Comments," "The Trojan Horse – Comments II", and "The Trojan Horse – Comments II (continued)" where you graciously conceded, "You may have a point when you suggest that my anger at Obama is really disappointment at the lack of progress that I hoped for. Perhaps no Democrat could have made any substantial progress against the know nothing Republicans. I think I would have preferred a battle royale (even a losing one) than accepting a weakened Health Care Bill, an inadequate deficit reduction bill and the many other compromises, which Obama probably was forced to make."
                            

The problem of course is, and has always been the totally unreasonable expectations that the election of Obama aroused. I anticipated this and warned against it, when I posted my commentary "Obama Walks on Water"

I might add that even as early in the President's term as August of 2011 I wrote of his long list of accomplishments. Please see "The Achievements of Barack Obama."

But this is in particular bad taste when the point that I made in my last post is that this election is not about Obama. It is about the future of America and posterity.

Which brings me to the last paragraph of your comment. Yes the US survived other terrible periods in its history. But that totally misses the point. It is like saying that the Jews, as a people survived the Holocaust, or that African-Americans survived slavery and Jim Crow. Yes, the nation and the world go on, but the tens of thousands who die for lack of health care do not. Those who are denied an education are not only set back, but so are their children and often it is multigenerational. What counts is people, as people, as individuals and as groups. They suffer, even if the nation and they survive, and to make light of such suffering is unbecoming.

Even Syria will survive. But at what cost?

No comments: